Book Review · The Life List

May 24, 2014


TITLE: THE LIFE LIST
AUTHOR: LORI NELSON SPIELMAN
NARRATOR: BRETT BOHLINGER, FIRST PERSON
PUBLISHER: RANDOM HOUSE, 2013
GENRE: CHICK LIT, FICTION
SOURCE: BARNES & NOBLE
REVIEW: 5 STARS OUT OF 5

"After twenty-seven years of slumber, love has arrived and awakened me from my sleep. The old me would say this is wrong, it's immoral. But the woman I've become feels helpless to stop it. For the first time in my life, my heart has found its rhythm."

A book about loss and gain, The Life List found a spot on my list of favorites. My heart was with the main character, Brett Bohlinger, the entire time. I was rooting for her. This book is about a woman in her mid-thirties who has just lost her mother, Elizabeth Bohlinger, and that is where the story begins: a grieving Brett in her mother's bedroom during the funeral luncheon. The next day Brett hits rock bottom when she finds out her mother didn't leave her an inheritance. Also, she loses her job at her mother's multimillion dollar company. Yikes! What her mother did leave behind for only daughter was a life list that once belonged to a teenage Brett who has since forgotten about it. Elizabeth believed that these were the true desires of her daughter's heart and before she succumbed to cancer she hired a lawyer by the name of Brad Midar to help guide her daughter. The life list is to be completed within a year or Brett doesn't receive a single dime. Brett gains so much in the next few months after her mother's death and in many ways she finds her true self. This book is about personal growth, discovery, reunion, forgiveness, finding courage, and living life without regret. As the story progressed it occurred to me that this wasn't going to be a story about a woman chasing an inheritance, but instead about a woman building her very own fortune. I really loved the main character, Brett, and all of her quirks. I highly recommend this book! Well-written and heartfelt.

CHARLENE ZALE
Designed By Hello Manhattan