Book Review · A Game of Thrones

April 27, 2015


TITLE: A GAME OF THRONES
AUTHOR: GEORGE R.R. MARTIN
NARRATOR: THIRD PERSON ALTERNATING, MULTIPLE CHARACTERS
PUBLISHER: BANTAM SPECTRA, 1996
GENRE: EPIC FANTASY
SOURCE: USED BOOKSHOP
REVIEW: 5 STAR OUT OF 5

"I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much, Jon Snow." - Tyrion Lannister

For several years I'd see the books of A Song of Ice and Fire lined up neatly beside each other at the bookshops and each time I did I'd tell myself that I would read them eventually, just not any time soon because I had other books that I wanted to give my attention to. I purchased A Game of Thrones at Wilson's Book World last year during a trip to St. Petersburg. I didn't begin reading it until this year. I knew that I wanted to read this book series long before I began to watch the HBO show. I never thought I would even get around to show. I had known of the theme and the setting. Dragons, knights, kings, conquests, wars, and the like. I just didn't know the specifics. I never thought I would have read the first book in the series as soon as 2015.

Because my style of book reviewing does not involve spoilers, I will keep this short. A Game of Thrones is a magnificent book! I adore Martin's style of writing. This book was more than I hoped it would be. The story grabs you at the collar and pulls you in, much like the show. It's such a multi-layered piece of work. It's overwhelming. Each chapter is a different character's point of view and each perspective is of high importance. I am glad I watched the show before I read the book, otherwise it may have been a bit difficult to read and keep up with the motives and thoughts of each character. I don't necessarily think this book is for everyone, I must admit. If you know you don't like epic fantasies with medieval settings, you will not like this book. And unlike most epic fantasies, you won't find many heroic "moments" within the pages of this book. It's cruel, bloody, and heads will roll.

CHARLENE ZALE
Designed By Hello Manhattan